Monday, January 17, 2005
On this day:

her story

I thought I would talk a bit about myself. This is hard for me to do, so bear with me.

The first day I was brought home from the hospital, my two- year old brother (his name was Drex) smacked me right in the face.

We moved to Ft. Stockton, Texas where my dad was doing some training. He was an engineer at the time, working for either Western Electric or Brown and Root. He worked for both at different times.

While we were in Texas, Drex ate my bellybutton. It had dried and fallen off. He thought it was a rasin! My sister Toni , who was seven, took it out of his mouth.

By the time I was nine months old my family was living in California. My dad was going to medical school there. During this time I had a nine day hospital stay.

My mother had me in the car and noticed that I was having a very difficult time breathing. She took me to the ER where they performed a tracheotomy. My lung had collapsed. I still have a noticeable scar on my throat. They also had to pump up the lung, so there is still a scar on my the right side of my chest.

My mother came to the hospital to find me barely moving and covered in my own sweat. The nurse had not been putting ice in my oxygen tent. My mother went screaming down the hall telling everyone that the hospital was killing her baby. The nurse was fired and I ended up with pneumonia.

On the ninth and final day in the hospital my mother came in and I was sitting up with a nurse's cap on my head. I was smiling and laughing. The doctors told my mother that they didn't know what had saved me, they did not think I was going to make it.

Since learning a little about
imprinting I have wondered what sort of impact it had on my little brain.

While I was in the hospital my dad watched an autopsy in school. There was a very large woman with enormous breasts on the table. When they removed her breast it slid into a bucket on the floor, and well, that was when my dad realized he did not have the stomach for medical school.

When her boob hit the bucket, his lunch hit the floor. So, he decided to self-medicate-- got drunk, hit a pole, busted his chin open. And we moved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home